Monday, September 19, 2005

Evolution and Certainty

Is there any area in science other than evolutionary biology where people are so fond of certainty claims? It seems like in every other discipline certainty claims are actively discouraged by the leading scientists; here there is a hankering after it. Or do I just not understand because I don't know enough science? I used to be told that the need for certainty is something religious people hang onto but scientific types learn to get over.

OTOH, I once heard a geologist call Darwin's theory of evolution the Greatest Story Ever Told.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how that geologist would explain earthquakes. I bet he (she?) is pretty sure plate tectonics plays a role. Ever ask a physicist how the monthly spring neap cycles of the tides relate to the phase of the moon. Try it some time… see how much doubt they express in their answer.